eyelash edge of your eyelids. This is a common but painful infection and is
found in both babies and adults.
of it. Popping a pimple or stye can make your eyes swell or
can make it worse or can create other serious complications.
upper and lower eyelids and
it may be on the outside or inner side of your eyelids. Usually, a stye
occurs on only one eye but in rare cases, it may be on both eyelids at the
Why you Should not Pop a Stye?
open the area causing injury or wound on the eyelids. It can create
many complications such as:
- A bacterial infection can spread to the other parts of your
eyelids or eyes.
- It may cause a worse infection inside the stye.
- It can create a pigmented scar on your eyelids.
- It can cause scar tissue on your eyelids.
- It can cause a hole-like scar on your eyelids.
Symptoms of a Stye
Sometimes it can cause a whole eyelid swell. Other symptoms include:
- Itchy eyes
- Eye pain
- Pus-filled bump
- Sensitivity to light
- Blurred vision
What are the Main Causes of a Stye?
clogged oil gland causes it. There are two different types of stye
- An external stye occurs when an infection exists inside the
hair follicles of an eyelash.
- An internal stye occurs when an infection exists in an oil gland
inside the eyelid.
from the use of dirty makeup brushes and mascara wands. High cholesterol can cause a stye on your eyelids or around your
eyelids. A chalazion also causes a bump on your eyelids but it is
painless. Other kinds of viruses or infections can cause a stye. If you have
already a blepharitis condition, the risks of getting a stye are
Best Treatment for a Stye
treatment and shrinks totally in 2 to 5 days. There are several
home remedies that are recommended by the American
Academy of Ophthalmology. Use a clean and warm compress or soak the affected area warm water.
It helps to speed up healing.
or oral antibiotics that you can take by mouth. There are some common
antibiotics that are prescribed commonly for a stye:
- Neomycin ointment
- Polymyxin ointment
- Eye drops with active ingredient gramicidin.
steroid injection that helps to bring down swelling.
surgical treatment. This procedure is done at your doctor’s clinic. If you
had a stye more than once you may need treatment for an underlying
- Don’t touch the affected area of the eyes with your fingers.
- Avoid wearing mascara or eye makeup.
- Avoid wearing contact lenses.
- Toss old Makeup
- Avoid sharing your
- Carefully wash your hands and face before applying makeup or contact
- Avoid wearing
or false eyelash extensions reduce the risk of stye
- Regularly wash and clean your contact lenses if you use them
- Remove contact lenses before going to bed for sleeping.